20040817

Boot Camp, Day One: Basics of Teaching
=====

Yesterday was the first day of TA orientation, and for me that meant meeting everyone briefly, then going to the Business college for the general orientation session. There were a few classes on things like ethics, learning styles and teaching tips, and for the most part they were really helpful; the biggest things I learned were that the first day isn't going to be all that bad, and that a well-thought out syllabus can really cover your ass. Then there was lunch, and another session in which Dr. Slattery introduced the department and then outlined how Comp I would go. Last night I spent writing up a syllabus (harder than you'd think, especially since you have to come up with a grading scale, attendance policy, weather policy, and academic dishonesty policy), and then did a little practice grading. I think I was also supposed to start looking for a story to assign the students for their first paper, which I'll do shortly.
[Edit]: I forgot to say that Dr. Quinn approves of my idea to look at vernacular culture in the Medieval Mystery play, and has now commanded me to go forth and find a mystery cycle to work on.
Not much to report aside from that. I'm feeling slightly better about teaching, but not by much.

No comments: